Friday, December 14, 2012

Holidays in Hawaii

We have now spent two of the major holidays on this beautiful island.

Hau'oli Ka La Ho'ola'a! or Happy Halloween!

For Halloween there were a few options.  The Saturday before Halloween there was this block party in Chinatown.  You paid like $15 and you got a wristband that would get you free entry into like 7 different bars.  Pretty awesome, our regular bar, Manifest, was one of them.  So, last minute we decide to partake in Halloween, after some prodding from our bartender friends at Manifest.  I decided to finally go with my natural born costume.  I have been told I look like Wednesday Addams as far back as I can remember.  So, on Saturday, since we waited till crunch time- I made a trip to Goodwill, Walmart, and finally, try and find a suitable Wednesday outfit.  I got a wig from Kmart, braided it, and voila! Jas had no idea what she wanted to be, so while at Kmart she picked up a banana costume.  But just being a banana wasn't enough for her, so she also picked up some zombie make-up... this of course, was after I convinced her not to do all of these other things she suggested, like a banana devil, or a banana with a sword, or some ridiculous ideas!  A zombie banana was still a reach, but I am a zombie fan, so I could accept it.  Of course I got stuck doing her make-up...I should say, I have never done Halloween make-up, and I can be sure after trying, that I should NOT quit my day job!

After we were finally ready, and I freaked us both out with how much I actually looked like Wednesday, we were off.  Just outside our door we started to hear these sirens going off.  A guy that was crossing the street was nice enough to tell us the sirens were tsunami warnings.  "Oh, ok, thanks" we said, as we continued walking to the bus.  Long story short, we get to Chinatown just as they were evacuating it.  Perfect!  We decided to walk home, since we knew the buses would be packed.  After we were home, and out of costume, I got word that there was still a bar open not too far from us.  So off we went, and the night wasn't a waste after all.  Oh, and thankfully, no tsunami.  Although, Hurricane Sandy did hit the east coast the next day which was very difficult to see being so far from my family and friends.  But I digress...

We didn't get to show off our costumes, so on Halloween day, we got dress and were off again.  It was pretty fitting, since I was Wednesday, and it was on a Wednesday.  Chinatown was having the wristband deal since it got ruined on Saturday so we went to several bars, and eventually landed at our regular.  There, we met THE cutest Aussie couple ever, and introduced them to several things, like laffy taffy's, captain crunch, and the bartenders!  They told us if we make it to Australia that they would take us out, and we plan to take them up on that wonderful offer!

So now, I'm sure you're wanting to see our costumes...enjoy:

Wednesday Addams

wouldn't you want to go to a bar where these people worked

Hau'oli La Ho'omakika'i! or Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving was the next big holiday, and is always an especially difficult one for me.  My madrina (godmother) was the Thanksgiving queen.  She was amazing in the kitchen, and loved to cook...even when it meant making 6 different things, because each grandkid wanted something different.  Thanksgiving has been hard since she passed, but this year, being so far from my family made it even the fact that it was the first time I was making the Thanksgiving meal!!!  I was very nervous.  My mom, bless her heart, helped me prepare by phone, text, and video, and I so appreciated it.  Before I knew it the day was literally.  I didn't realize it was so close, and ended up shopping for the food just a few days prior.  Pernil (pork shoulder) seems to be scarce on this island, so that ended up being an adventure too.  But let's cut to the important part...

Three days before Thanksgiving, I was up at 1:30 in the morning seasoning the pernil.  Two nights before, I was up seasoning the turkey.  And finally, Thanksgiving day, I woke up around 7:45, caught a 9am WOD at my gym (I'll speak about that later!), and got back home before 11.  I showered, took some time for myself, and then it was to the kitchen.  When it was finally time to eat, I can honestly say I was proud of myself.  I made, red rice, pernil (and cuero), turkey, all for the first time, plus mashed potatoes, and broccoli.  Jas made rolls and sweet potato and pumpkin pies.  I was so worried I would screw something up, and since I was making the whole actual meal, I would've been devastated.  But, thankfully, I think as far as my family is, they were actually right there next to me, especially my madrina, helping me every step of the way.  And I can honestly say I think she would've been proud.

Up next is Christmas.  And then New Years...which I am more excited for, because we'll have a guest!!!

And the adventure continues...

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment