Saturday, April 7, 2012

Greener me...going no "poo" etc.

For whatever reason, coming here has sparked a desire in me to become part treehugger if you will, or rather go a little greener.  I'm not sure what it is exactly, perhaps because this place is so incredibly beautiful that it makes you want to try a little harder to keep it that way.  Maybe a little bit of treehugger was always in me and didn't know how to make it's way out.  Either way, here I am now...here are some ways I've gone greener:

1. People hang clothes to dry here a lot.  Our apartment came with a washer, but no dryer, but we do have clothes lines...so we are hanging!  We did this a little at home too so it's not completely different for me.

2. I have this handy dandy water bottle that has it's own filter, so I just use that.  We don't have any plastic water bottles at our apartment.

3. We use reusable bags.  We have 4 at the moment, I'm sure we'll end up buying more.  But, we take these to go food shopping, to go to Walmart, Target, wherever.  Every now and then we've forgotten but we're trying to get into the habit of grabbing them before we leave if we're walking or taking the bus.  And I keep two in my car just in case we're driving somewhere and forget to grab them.

4.  I drive less!  Yay!  We walk a lot, and have monthly bus passes, so the only time we drive is if we're going to the other side of the island, or we're going shopping for something pretty big and heavy, or if we're crunched for time and have to be somewhere fast.

5.  We never turn lights on during the day.  We wait until we absolutely have to when it's dark.  And then, we only turn them on if we're in that specific room, and we turn them off when we leave a room.  We also do the same with fans, unless it's crazy hot we don't turn them on, we just keep the windows open.  And if we have to turn on fans, it's only during the day.

6.  We unplug everything.  No leaving computers plugged in overnight, etc.  And we do have surge protectors also.

Additionally, I have been so interested in make at home things.  I did a ton of research on this no "poo" method of shampooing.  And I finally decided to take the plunge.  It's been almost a week now.  Basically instead of shampoo and conditioner I make my own, with baking soda and water for shampoo and apple cider vinegar and water for conditioner.  It's crazy cheap, and I've read so many success stories that I just decided, why not!  Also, Jas and I plan to make our own hot oil hair treatments, along with some other things.  Of course I'll be posting about how these things go!  Cross your fingers for us.

And the adventure continues...

Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Does this poo smell good & does it leave ur hair shiny?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't smell like anything really. You smell the vinegar when you put it on in the shower, but once you rinse it out you don't smell it anymore. In my research I did read that you can add essential oils to give it a smell, and maybe I'll try that eventually but for now I'm happy with it. And I'm still in the transition phase as it's only week two for me, but my hair definitely is shiny, a little oily sometimes. It's really about finding the right proportion of baking soda and apple cider vinegar to water for your particular hair. I'm still working on it, but I will definitely be posting more as I go!

    ReplyDelete